Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

18 March 2003

Whimpering

I wrote this long eloquent post about human cruelty yesterday, only to have it eaten by Blogger. I'm not finished thinking about the subject, so I'll probably try to post about it again -- and better -- but ye gods, how annoying that was!

Am not even finished with my Mary Sue, and already I have been attacked by a plot bunny (making me feel that Anya is no idiot) -- a Giles story, involving no OCs this time. Yeesh.

Went on a hunt for Jessica's birthday present, a Giles action figure, Sunday evening. Came up with sod-all. Did you know it's easier to find a Three Stooges action figure in this town than it is to find a Giles? What is wrong with this world?

Speaking of things wrong with the world, we are now apparently going to war. I was going to blog about this, and in searching for an etext of C.S. Lewis's "Learning in Wartime" (a fruitless gesture as I know well that Lewis's writings are copyrighted to the hilt), I found this man's article following September 11th, and it mirrors a number of the things that have been simmering in my mind for the last year and a half. The death rate for human beings is still 100 percent; and yet it is the suffering, not the death, that we worry about. Equally do many among us worry about the ugly marks on our soul made by the contentious scratching and clawing and savage backhanding that we must do when we fight for our dignity. As much as I fear in the back of my mind the possibility that our way of life -- and our safety itself -- will be ended, the fear most before my eyes is the ugliness, the hateful rhetoric, the recriminations that must necessarily follow what we are doing. We cannot build a new empire of innocence, and I feel it is utter fatuity to believe that we can. Above all, I fear people being fools.

Because it is so easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home