Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

31 March 2003

Today, I found out at Morning Prayer, is John Donne's Day in the Anglican calendar. So we sang the one hymn in the hymnal that was written by Donne: "When thou hast done, thou hast not done, for I have more..." And now I find that I can read Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions online. It's really the kind of reading that you want in book form, for it takes a long time to digest, but I highly recommend Devotions to everyone, especially in times like this time of war -- or really, in any time that reminds one of the latent effects of fear. I read it during the later half of my illness last year, and found it very nourishing.

An example from the Prayer of Chapter 6:

O MOST mighty God, and merciful God, the God of all true sorrow, and true joy too, of all fear, and of all hope too, as thou hast given me a repentance, not to be repented of, so give me, O Lord, a fear, of which I may not be afraid.

Am working on Chapter 10 this morning. It's coming along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home