Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

08 July 2003

Buenostalgia

Yes, the sad thing about having moved away from Tulsa is that I'm no longer near a Taco Bueno. I've had access to Taco Bueno all my life, and now there isn't one for miles, just a bunch of bloody White Castles and Steak'n'Shakes. Though the fast food place they're building here looks like it might possibly be shaped like a Taco Bueno...with my luck, it'll just be a Taco Bell. Feh.

Which reminds me of a story I haven't yet told. When I was teaching, I used to laugh privately as I graded papers, at all the grammatical bloopers and malapropisms that my students perpetrated in their essays. One afternoon I was in the writing center grading, and came across a student who paraphrased a line in Richard Rodriguez's "The Achievement of Desire" with a singularly unfortunate typo: "I gestured nostalgically toward the pasta." Not, of course, the past. So I giggled, trailed my hand along my fevered TA's brow, and declaimed: "Ahh -- spaghetti!...Manicotti!...Linguine!" It's become a running joke.

So when I saw this building going up, I said, "That looks like it might be a Taco Bueno when it grows up....Ahh...Taco Bueno...." Jessica said: "What is this, Buenostalgia now? Are you gesturing nostalgically toward the Bueno?" Yes, indeed. I am.

So in honor of Buenostalgia, I now present you with Chapter 16, ahead of schedule. Woohoo!

Bon Appetit, mes amis....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home