Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

09 May 2003

It's the Friday Five!

1. Would you consider yourself an organized person? Why or why not? About ten years ago now I once said: "Well, I'm not organized in body, but I'm organized in mind." My friend, to whom I was saying it, just kept shaking her head. "What?" I said. And I still say: "What?" I recently drew up my own astrological birth chart, just for kicks, and it ought to be subtitled Look For Practicality and Common Sense Elsewhere. Luckily there was Practicality and Common Sense elsewhere in the chart, or I should have thrown a fit. All of which is to say that I feel ashamed of the way my brain works and probably shouldn't: I see the big Franklin thing as a huge chore, but I think in syllogisms and write with outlines -- outlines which I draw up after the fact. Why knock it if it works? I don't know, but I do. I think it must be linked to the huge ESTJ and non-HSP chauvinism in this country. I'm going to start a political club. *heaves up portable soapbox and heads down the block*

2. Do you keep some type of planner, organizer, calendar, etc. with you, and do you use it regularly? See above characterization of the Franklin planner. As a student, I did indeed keep a planner, but in actuality I lived off loose sheets of notebook paper and post-it notes on which I scribbled my goals for the day/week/month/whatever. It worked okay, and I didn't spend 200 bucks either.

3. Would you say that your desk is organized right now? Well, considering that my bloody desk is still in bloody storage, it's pretty bloody organized in the sense that it doesn't have a bloody thing in it. Right now, the floor is my desk, and IT is a bloody nightmare. When my desk is in operation, it is organized in the drawers (which all have their designated contents) and the usual rats' nest of receipts, coins, writer's scribbles, and phone numbers on sticky notes on top.

4. Do you alphabetize CDs, books, and DVDs, or does it not matter? I do not, as James accused Terry, alphabetize my CDs. I have currently two CD racks, whose contents are divided into Christian/alternative/rock and classical/miscellaneous respectively, followed by the further classification, bottom to top, of stuff I listen to from the least to the most. Books I likewise organize by content and frequency of use. My DVD and video collection is too scanty to organize under any criteria. I own the Pride and Prejudice DVD set and, on video, Toy Story and The Princess Bride.

5. What's the hardest thing you've ever had to organize? Two words: Student Teaching. Organizing long-range lesson plans would be a lot easier if there were less people involved; and, furthermore, if I didn't have to do it. I'm well out of that. Though with this new business I'm starting, it may be a case of out of the frying-pan into the fire. Sigh. Deep sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home