Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

26 November 2002

Today is my birthday. So here is a spontaneous birthday sonnet.

The Promise of Snow

My birthday used to come with loads of snow.
My parents groaned, but I was not complaining;
And all that fun was half a life ago --
Since then, it's been more likely to be raining.
Ah! snow -- a landscape touch that covers all
The multitude of sins and smooths them over;
I let go, and the drift catches my fall --
Behind, a cold embrace, an angel lover.
And now, the weather forecast gives me hope,
Since I live in the Ozarks now, the chance is
That I might get snow again, of decent scope,
And thus resume my winter-birthday dances.
But now this morning -- oh, isn't it funny --
I look outside, and what is it but sunny.

So far, however, I have had a very good birthday. I saw Chamber of Secrets last night and it ruled. I was prepared for the weird Hagrid-love thing at the end, and I realized that it must be an effort to vindicate him after he was expelled. I'm okay with it; if Prisoner of Azkaban doesn't get off the ground, the vindication that comes with Hagrid becoming a teacher may not be delivered to the audience. Plus, that vindication continually fluctuates in the books, and they like to nail things into place in the movies. I dono. I loved the little bit at the very very end -- KB looked like he had so much fun playing Lockhart, and he was truly brilliant. Christian Coulson -- man! The Ford Anglia -- cheers! The Quidditch -- yee-haaaa!

So another year has gone by -- an incredibly difficult one -- and yet I'm still here and there are still things to take delight in. L'chaim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home