Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

17 November 2002

Hodgepodge day!

A book I heartily recommend is Your God is Too Safe, by Mark Buchanan. Buchanan's an excellent writer; his prose is delicious and his thoughts strike home with great clarity and resonance. I reread it occasionally when I need to get my head on straight -- and sometimes just because it's cool.

Jessica has been telling me I should try my skills as a playwright. I tend to be better at dialogue than narration, and my characters do things in groups. My stories, however, tend to be novelistic. We'll see. I'll let that simmer on a back burner and see what develops.

My birthday is coming up, and Jessica has promised to take me to see Chamber of Secrets. Last year, she was all set to take me to see the first one for my birthday, but I ended up going to the emergency room instead. What great fun, I can tell you. Never get acute panic disorder if you can help it. I ended up going to the first one with Mom a few weeks later. But this year, my health is better and I've been reading spoilers on people's blogs and I am way ready to enjoy myself on my birthday this year.

Oh yeah, and I discovered you can't get the DVDs to Good Eats except on the Food Network website. So, no trip to Borders will do. Darn.

I've still been working on the third novel rather than the first of my little trilogy. The plot of the third one has been somewhat difficult. I'm trying to get my characters together, and that's all I really care about; but the first two stories fall directly into the suspense genre (or indirectly, if you're me and picky), and something else needs to happen to strengthen the thread of the story. So what I've done is make up a story that is pretty much a conflation of the plots of Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon. Am I ashamed not to be sledding down a virgin hillside? I feel a little dubious, but we'll see when I get to the bottom of the hill what it's like.

By the way, go visit my brother's blog. He's fifteen and brilliant, and he should post more. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home