Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

15 October 2003

NaNoWriMo Ahoy! (crossposted from LJ)

So yes, I have decided to do NaNoWriMo (aka National Novel Writing Month) this year, as a pact with Jessica. I spent about an hour last night outlining the plot of my story to her, and her verdict was: Strange, Unlike My Other Stuff, and Like a Cross Between A.S. Byatt and Dorothy Dunnett. All of which sounds like a good impetus to continue, because (since it really isn't like my other stuff) otherwise the story may not get written.

So, a synopsis of my odd brainchild:

The Exiles (working title)

A desponding woman falls into a chasm between worlds and finds herself in a magical country inhabited by no one. Except for one strange man, voiceless, nameless, and alone, who takes her to his home in a secluded valley. She chooses to live with him, and over the course of the seasons she pieces together his story -- the reason why he is an exile, without voice, name, or tears -- and the story of the city he comes from, beseiged by an evil sorcerer. She discovers, too, that her coming may be the harbinger of changes, both in the stalemated battle with their nemesis, and in the order of the city itself. At the center of these changes flows the mysterious river whose properties she has learned to fear and respect -- a river which may be the salvation, or the undoing, of them all.

Yeah, strange, and I suspect a little cheesy. But I am writing it anyway, and I plan to post my chapters to my LJ in friends-locked posts, for those on my flist who may be interested in actually reading the thing. Feedback is welcomed, though I plan to be following Anne Lamott's writer's rule of Shitty First Drafts in an effort just to get the story out of me.

For those who don't have an LJ but would like to read the story, contact me and I'll post links you can access.

*rubs hands nervously* Writing Ahoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home