Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

06 October 2003

In Which I Attempt to Salve My World-Worry With Books

Today I wandered over to the refreshment table of humanity and realized that, like the food at Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party, there's nothing edible, let alone look-at-without-nausea-able. If it's not Fred Phelps, it's Stupid White Men, and if it's not them, it's the poor quality of life that so many people are living. I felt sick today.

So, in an effort to balance the equation in my mind if not the world, I checked out de Voragine's Golden Legend and C.S. Lewis's An Experiment in Criticism (which I have not read but which I expect to contain a number of new-crit themes, which were in fact an experiment at the time), as well as Michael Moore's Stupid White Men, which I'm sure is going to be more than a match for two volumes' worth of saints.

I'm also keeping in mind what Virginia said a few weeks ago about the Community's purpose being partially that of lifting up the world in prayer. A liturgical dance, and prayers rising like incense, plus a little writerly activism, and I think I've got my role in this scary story.

Have been thinking about doing NaNoWriMo next month; I've got a story that might never get written otherwise. But I don't know yet.

Plus have got an AAU Elisabeth story on another burner. So far my lone beta is giving it good reviews.

Heigh-ho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home