Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

04 September 2003

Some Pleasant Griping (pleasant for me, that is)

Geocities has got me peeved. Three years I've had my website, and I've now lost count of the number of times my stats numbers have slipped gears and regressed -- I don't understand how their stats counters can so routinely forget the page views they were put in to keep track of. So somehow I magically manage to have about 2080 visitors to my pages since 2000, every few months, and now the gears have slipped on the stats for my fic pages. This is untenable: my ego depends on knowing that some random person visited Chapter 10 of "Shadow Though it Be" because they typed in a Google search for "henrietta the hedgehog". Depends on it, I tell you! I don't pay Yahoo! five bucks a month to lose my stats. The buggers.

Am also contemplating getting a LiveJournal not -- I hasten to say -- because I desire to sell out to the clique-ridden allure of LJ fandom but, um, because I desire to sell out to the clique-ridden allure of LJ fandom. In other words, because I want icons. Icons! Icons! Give me icons! *bangs fists with eating implements on the board* Also having a LiveJournal may boost my readership, though that doesn't necessarily mean a payoff in comments. *pouts* So, a LiveJournal consisting mostly of GIP entries to announce all the new Manchild icons I'm planning to make: that's a payoff, at least.

And, speaking of LiveJournals, ever have one of those seasons?

And speaking of acquiring online personal publishing forums, I have very nearly convinced my sister to get a blog. The world will be a better place if she does.

Moving out of griping into book recommendations.

Peter Tremayne. Have rediscovered the Sister Fidelma mysteries. There are still two new ones I haven't yet read, but I've caught up on two of them. They are pretty standard mystery fare, with the flaws of the genre, namely a narratological tendency to overexplain, which gives the story a kind of Ezekiel-and-the-dry-bones kinda feel, but other than that they're quite delightful, and very interesting -- I hadn't known that Irish culture was so brilliantly developed in the seventh century.

Elizabeth Goudge. On the recommendation of some of my Rivendell companions, checked out a Goudge -- not Eileen, mark you -- from the library: The Scent of Water. Devoured it last night after several attempts to put the darned thing down and roll over and go to sleep. Only George Macdonald, as far as I know, has the same capacity for mythmaking and a goodness completely free of didacticism. Plus she has a very simple style that poor Victorian GMD could not have supported without remaking himself.

So what are you waiting for? Go forth and read, you clowns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home