Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

19 May 2003

Notes from a Heavenly Place

All very random of course. Starting with:

I have discovered that some IE browsers (i.e. the one at Rivendell, which I am using) read my code in such a way that my body text is incredibly small. This is not my fault...I think. I have the font set at .95 px. But it's darned annoying and if anyone wiser in the ways of CSS can advise me, I will rewrite the code so that everybody can read my blog with comfort.

I have sore muscles from all the hard work we did on Saturday planting hostas in the garden. In between digging holes, I stood in the grey cool morning quiet and rested the heel of my gloved hand on my shovel, like farmers have been doing for centuries, and just contemplated the countryside. I can trace the path of the tornado through Rivendell: there is a line of splintered trees, followed by the demolished garage shed, followed by the big white barn with its tin siding peeled back from the roof, again followed by destroyed trees, and so on out of sight. There is a lot of work to do, and once we get a chainsaw that we can actually start, we will be getting to work on it.

But that was Saturday; the only strenuous work I've done today is to drive down to Humansville in the community car to pick up some flyswatters for the kitchen -- and apparently the library; good grief. *swats at a fly and misses*

I'm also keeping a journal of my time here, so that I don't have to find time to blog this week and yet can have a record of my retreat here. And of course I can put things in that would only bore my public.

It's beautiful here, and I cannot hope to convey the sense of quiet and purpose that just permeates the land and the people living here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home