Ink & Penwipers

Scribbles, screeds, speculations, and the occasional reference to Schrodinger's cat.

27 September 2002

Well! This was an interesting expenditure of adrenaline, to say the least.

I get a call at 9:40 this morning, and yes, I was asleep. It's the county library, wanting to know if I could interview at 11:30 this morning for the copy-writing position I applied for Wednesday. So suddenly I'm -- not tense, just very, very alert -- and I pop out of bed and start pacing about thinking how I'm going to put together a writing portfolio in 30 minutes. So, I call Milissa long distance, and she answers, thank God! and I tell her I need a huge favor. Can she email me the files of that brochure I put together for the Special Collections department? I tell her where they are, and she says she'll do her best. She comes through for me while I'm taking my bath. Jessica checks my email and prints them out. I get dressed and made up. Then I print out a few other samples of my writing and put them into the smooth fuschia folder that Jessica has found for me. Then Jessica drives me there: "I'm still not awake. Are you okay with that?" "Listen, I think it's better to have you driving while slightly somnolent than to have me driving while freaking out and not knowing where I'm going." "Yeah, that's what I thought too."

So we get there early, and I go in and it's not too long before they call me in to the conference room: a woman and a man, looking rather glassy-eyed. He has a salt-and-pepper goatee and very dark eyes behind wire-rims; she is in black with long curly flyaway hair. They ask me questions off a stapled packet and write things down in the blanks below each question as I talk. They discover as I narrate my experiences that I'm trying to start a career as a writer, though I've always been one unofficially. I don't know if they are willing to take a chance on me -- young, inexperienced, though a quick study -- but I hope as I hand them the portfolio that my writing will convince them. Then they tell me I should hear back about the middle of October. Oh, God. SMS is supposed to let me know their decision next week. So by mid-October what will I be doing? Supervising workstudies at the SMS music library, or writing blurbs for the Springfield-Greene County Library? Either is nice, because I get paid; the copywriting would be great, because it's what I actually love doing. Oy. Oy. Oy. Think happy thoughts for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home